Monday, January 9, 2012

I spoke to a nurse about early March of 2010 and when I complained of how lousy Avonex made me feel (I've been using Avonex since 1996 and it always gave me flu like symptoms for at least 2 to 3 days, often quite a bit longer) she recommended eating fresh (unprocessed/uncanned/unheated) pineapple... before (about an hour to ninety minutes BEFORE) I inject because it has an enzyme in it (Bromelain) that helps lessen the side effects significantly. FYI: It is a natural anti- inflammatory. She also told me it had to be fresh (but I did have one MSer tell me she used canned and felt it still helped. Then again another told me the exact opposite).


My Neuro recently told me she has been telling her patients about this and that she's been getting good feedback back (for ALL Interferons, NOT just for Avonex).


NOTE: she also emphasized drinking LOTS of water the day of and after the shot


UPDATES:


sometimes the pineapple works fine by itself, other times it isn't as effective so I have started taking Natural Papaya & Pineapple Enzyme chewable tablets that I get at Trader Joe's ($2.49). Also - I have started making smoothies instead of eating the pineapple all by itself. The smoothies work REALLY well (I'm glad too - getting kind of tired of Pineapple). ;o)


according to my Neurologist this is something that should help with all Interferons (it works with Rebif)


not sure why, but using bananas seems to make the smoothies LESS effective. I stopped using bananas a few weeks back and that (combined with my use of LDN) seems to have really made a difference.


This is another "not sure why" one: before I inject I find it helps to let the Avonex come to room temperature. The colder it is when I inject, the faster it "knocks me out". Also - I find that warming it only makes me sleepy (from the Avonex) for a little while but, if I stay up "through" the tiredness I feel better (the next day too).

No comments: